Foundations, our Sunday-morning education ministry, equips participants of all ages for the work of the ministry by helping them learn to read and apply the Bible, so that they may carry out the mission of Grand Avenue Baptist Church.
Adult Foundations is from 9-10 am in the sanctuary (unless otherwise noted). Visit our Children’s Ministry page to learn more about Foundations for Children. The 2020 Adult Foundations schedule is below.
Jan 12 — All Adults Seminar
- Technology in the Home -A panel of GABC members will discuss technology in the home—concerns, successes, failures, fears, and goals. Suggested resources and ongoing reading will be available.
Jan 19 — Women’s and Men’s Seminars
- Men (Room 102): Bringing the Gospel to Our Community – A panel of men will share ways they’ve engaged the community through service for the sake of the gospel. They will give examples and ideas for ministering to various groups of people in Ames in local business, nonprofit board service, coaching, school volunteering, and more.
- Women (Sanctuary): Work & Rest – A panel of women will discuss a biblical paradigm of work and rest and how the gospel informs these in our daily lives. The panel will also discuss healthy patterns for both, making applications to things like income-producing work, ministry, work in the home, and more.
Jan 26 — Women’s and Men’s Seminars
- Men (Room 102): A Meaningful Retirement – A panel of men in the season of retirement share how they are walking with God, living faithfully, and viewing their time and work in this time of life.
- Women (Sanctuary): Reflections From Our Pastors & Elders – A panel of current and previous GABC Elders and Pastors will share how they’ve benefitted from and been encouraged by women in the church, as well as thoughts on how they relate to and interact with women. They will discuss shepherding and caring for the women of GABC.
Feb 2 — Breakfast and book discussion. Adults are reading Supernatural Power for Everyday People in January. We will discuss our observations this morning with a light breakfast.
Bible Study Discussion — Adult Foundations partners with our Men’s and Women’s Bible Studies by providing a brief overview of the previous week’s passage and then guided discussion time in small groups. You do not need to be in a Bible study to participate in and benefit from these discussions. Please see our Bible Studies page for more information. (Bible Studies begin meeting the week of February 2.)
We will be following the schedule of our Women’s and Men’s Fall Bible Study, using Acts: A 12-Week Study by Justin Holcomb (also available for free online). *For the second half of this study, supplemental questions will be provided.
** indicates separate men’s and women’s classes. Men meet in the sanctuary; women meet in Room 102. Join classes meet in the sanctuary.
Feb 09 — Bible Study Discussion — Acts 15:1-35 — Holcomb chapter 9
Feb 16** — Bible Study Discussion — Acts 15:36-17:15 — Holcomb chapter 10* (Troy Jansen, audio)
Feb 23 — Bible Study Discussion — Acts 17:16-18:22 — Holcomb chapter 10* (Kyle Hornberg, audio)
Mar 01 — Bible Study Discussion — Acts 18:23-21:16 — Holcomb chapter 10* (Dean VanEvery, audio)
Mar 08** — Bible Study Discussion — Acts 21:17-23:35 — Holcomb chapter 11* (Dean VanEvery, audio)
Mar 15 — Bible Study Discussion — Acts 24:1-26:32 — Holcomb chapter 11*
Mar 22 — No Adult Foundations
Mar 29** — Bible Study Discussion — Acts 27:1-28:31 — Holcomb chapter 11*
Apr 05 — Bible Study Discussion — Conclusion
*Men and women will meet separately on dates indicated (men in the sanctuary; women in room 102).
April 12 — No Foundations (all ages) — Easter Sunday